CISTAR Assistant Director for Education
Responsible for the development and implementation of CISTAR educational programs, including curricular initiatives (spanning pre-college, undergraduate, and graduate students), outreach and continuing education, mentoring of students, and research experiences. Work closely with the Workforce Development Program Directors for pre-college and university programming, and with education liaisons located on site at the four university partners. Interact with faculty and students at Purdue and all the partner institutions. Plan, coordinate and execute activities, data collection, assessment and reporting, as required by diverse stakeholders. Write proposals for CISTAR related activities. Organize events, write reports, and communicate CISTAR educational activities and progress. Some travel is required.
60% Program Development and Management
- Participate in CISTAR education strategy development in collaboration with the university and pre-college Workforce Development Program Directors.
- Create and implement research-based, scalable, and sustainable portfolio of recommendations and initiatives to attract and develop high-potential, diverse undergraduate and graduate students to CISTAR (Fellows) and prepare them to be innovative leaders in a global energy economy.
- Support the mentoring program, help students develop an Individual Development Plan (IDP) to identify career interests, strengths, and areas of challenges and track progress.
- Organize team-building CISTAR Fellows Institute meetings prior to the CISTAR biannual Center-wide meeting where Fellows can take short courses, develop communication skills, tour industrial facilities, interview for internships, receive guidance for tracking IDP progress, and engage in leadership activities.
- Develop and implement activities to support undergraduate research, especially the summer Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) program.
- Support the creation of co-developed and co-taught core curriculum as well as short courses and modules to build on partner strengths and expertise and enable a cohort experience in cross-institutional implementation.
- Support CISTAR faculty in the development of course modules and materials, such as "Introduction to the Light Hydrocarbon Economy".
- Plan professional development activities for Fellows, such as lecture series and workshops.
- Manage pre-college education activities such as Research Experiences for Teachers, Research Experiences for Undergraduates, and the Young Scholars Summer Research for high school students.
- Coordinate and contribute to outreach activities such as zipTrips (virtual field trips).
- Interact with students, other educational coordinators at the partner institutions, the CISTAR Diversity Director, and industry members to integrate systems-level understanding in the grand challenge area of energy.
- Plan and coordinate intrapreneurship and entrepreneurship efforts.
- Disseminate CISTAR university and pre-college education curriculum, modules, lessons, and activities on an internationally accessible HUBzero-based CISTAR Learning Hub and through partner program websites.
30% Assessment and Reporting
- Assist with the administration of assessments and evaluations of all educational programs.
- Work with representatives from SAMPI, University of Western Michigan, to ensure a successful evaluation of CISTAR workforce development activities.
- Work with the Workforce Education Directors to implement feedback resulting from SAMPI and internal assessment to improve CISTAR educational programs.
- Assist with data collection and analysis.
- Prepare reports, present findings, disseminate information.
- Ensure that the education portions of NSF and other official reports are completed and filed on time.
- Serve as a representative for CISTAR to other education and mentoring initiatives, professional organizations, conferences, and workshops.
- Write or contribute to proposals for CISTAR related activities, such as course development, fellowships, or mentoring.
- Contribute to publications and marketing materials for CISTAR.
- Supervise student workers in data collection and analysis.
- Other activities as necessary to support CISTAR's workforce development goals.