CISTAR Diversity Director
Responsible for all aspects of the diversity and mentoring programs for CISTAR. Contribute to the CISTAR goal of developing diverse students with the technical and professional skills to become leaders in their profession. Create a diversity strategic plan with clearly defined goals, objectives, milestones and metrics and strategies for attaining them. Establish and implement metrics and tools that can be applied across CISTAR. Facilitate activities for the CISTAR diversity team. Plan, coordinate and implement CISTAR efforts for diversity recruitment and outreach. Create, implement and oversee a mentoring program for all CISTAR participants. Write proposals for CISTAR related activities. Organize events, write reports, and communicate CISTAR diversity activities and progress.
35% Program Management
- Responsible for all aspects of the diversity programs for CISTAR. Contribute to the CISTAR goal of developing diverse students with the technical and professional skills to become leaders in their profession
- Design, deliver, and assess programs that increase inclusivity and reward CISTAR participants actively engaged in creating an inclusive CISTAR center. Educate and motivate all CISTAR participants about the Center's workforce diversity and workplace inclusion goals to create a sustainable, inclusive engineering research center.
- Create and implement a diversity strategic plan with clearly defined goals, objectives, milestones and metrics and strategies for attaining them. Ensure that the diversity strategic plan takes advantage of existing programs at all partner universities, and is tailored for implementation at each of the partner universities. Establish metrics and tools that can be applied across the center, and with all partners.
- Facilitate activities for the CISTAR diversity team (Director, Education Directors, Diversity Director, and representatives from each partner institution), ensure communication and collaboration across all partners. In coordination with the Director and Managing Director, develop budgets for diversity education programs and track financial status.
- Communicate diversity activities to partners, stakeholders and the public via print, web and other media. Ensure that the wide variety of diversity programs are well coordinated for effectiveness and maximum impact.
- Lead and coordinate with the partners the NSF reporting process related to diversity and mentoring programs. Prepare other reports for internal and external distribution as needed.
- Organize and teach seminars and other events addressing mentoring, diversity, team work and other relevant topics.
- Work with the Managing Director to plan and integrate in CISTAR activities for the Chemical Engineering Pipeline Center, centered on women in Chemical Engineering.
- Ensure that that the Center's Broader Participation activities build on the philosophy and approaches of the NSF's Inclusion Across the Nation of Communities of Learners that have been Underrepresented for Diversity in Engineering and Science (INCLUDES).
20% Recruitment and Outreach:
- Plan, coordinate and implement CISTAR efforts for diversity recruitment and outreach. Work with the departments and universities to recruit underrepresented undergraduate and graduate students, post-doctoral researchers and faculty to CISTAR.
- Establish relationships with minority and underrepresented organizations and institutions to aid in recruitment and dissemination of CISTAR programs and initiatives.
- Leverage existing programs and resources available at NSF, Purdue and other university partners.
- Ensure that outreach efforts to underrepresented minorities are implemented and based on best practices that will enhance CISTAR research and support a culture of inclusion.
- Create, implement, assess, and oversee a mentoring program to ensure the success of faculty, undergraduate and graduate students, and post-doctoral researchers. The plan needs to include several elements: 1) train faculty, staff, and graduate and undergraduate students to be knowledgeable mentors; 2) reward mentors; and 3) create a mentoring climate where students have multiple and diverse mentors, including mentors at other universities or professionals in industry.
15% Assessment and Evaluation:
- Plan, develop and conduct comprehensive assessments and evaluations of all CISTAR diversity and mentoring programs. This includes both formative and summative evaluations using pretest and post-test instruments.
- Collect data, analyze and report results. Supervise student workers in data collection and analysis. Prepare reports, write papers and disseminate findings.
- Serve as a representative for CISTAR to other diversity and mentoring initiatives, professional organizations, conferences, and workshops.
- Write or contribute to proposals for CISTAR related activities, such as outreach, diversity or mentoring.
- Contribute to publications and marketing materials for CISTAR.
- Supervise student workers in data collection and analysis.
- Other activities as necessary to support CISTAR's diversity and workforce development goals.